Monday, November 10, 2008

We are Happy!!

Dear Kids,

We got to speak to Julie and Richard and Catherine. We heard Colin sing Popcorn on the Apricot Tree and say "I love you Grandma and Grandpa" just as plain as day. We also got to speak to Andew for a second. Sorry we didn't get Croslands and Hardies. We'll call you next week!. The reason we were rushing was because the Assistants called this morning and asked us if we wanted to go to the mountains today. That is the first time anyone has asked us to do anything and we were excited. Actually, we both have talks to get and me a lesson on chastity today and Dad is working on a nasty cold, but it was such a good opportunity that we said yes. They needed us to go so we'd take our car, but that's okay. We were happy for the chance. They said it was their best preparation day ever and we should make it an event every 6th Saturday which is the only day the Assistants are free. We know this will be our only trip with these 4 because one of them will be moved tonight, I suspect.

We actually had quite an adventure. There is a waterfall, a deer farm and an alligator farm where we thought we were going. We were driving along, getting into the hills pretty good when the road turned to dirt and all the sudden we couldn't see what was ahead. We stopped, got out and walked ahead and found that there was no road. Straight ahead went off into a gorge and where the road was supposed to go had been washed out. There were three men and a shovel machine rebuilding a road. It was amazing. It looked very primitive. We took pictures. We decided to walk over the washed out part and try to find the water fall. You would have been so amazed at your mother. You know what a wimp I am. Usually I would have stayed in the car. I was a little worried about staying in the car in such a strange place and I didn't want to worry them or ruin their fun. So I went. Most of the time it was just walking up and down a hilly little road but there was some rock climbing involved. Even though it took 5 strong men to help me through a pretty embarrassing situation, I made it --up and back! We never did find the water fall but the Elders climbed a bit on huge rocks through the water and felt refreshed to be doing something besides working at a computer or riding a bike. We were pretty much in a jungle with so many interesting leaves, butterflies, etc. Even some long vines that the Elders went swinging on. We did pass the deer farm on the way down but didn't go. We did go to an amazing Buddist Temple, though. It was a place were monks live. the ones we saw were women with their heads shaved. One was very old. We asked if we could take her picture but she said she didn't have her long robes on, so no. It was a very interesting place. It was called a "cool and peaceful place" and it was very large and beautiful with lots of colors and carvings. Amazing plants and landscaping. Included a burial grounds. Lots of "graven images", lots of them. We took lots of pictures for Lauren's report.

When we got back to the office they said they wanted to treat us to a dessert. We took them up on it even though I'm sure we were all hungry for food. I had heard about this but never had it or even seen it. It was in a huge bowl. Frozen thick milk (like slush almost) on the bottom, lots of fruit (I got mango and Dad got mixed fruit--pineapple, mango, kiwi) with a scoop of ice cream on the top. Very delicious. They present things very beautifully here but usually the taste is disappointing. Their bakeries are just fantastic but things do not taste good according to our tastes. Not sweet at all and containing things like green tea, red beans, taro and purple yam. This dessert was delicious though as well as beautiful. The Elders went to their apartments to finish their pday things and we stopped at the office and should stay here to get our talks except we don't have our papers with us. Dad will probably come back tonight because he hates my computer, but I'll stay home and do laundry, etc.

We have the second set of three different sets of sisters with us now. I think I already told you that. One speaks only a little English but they are so sweet. They both came in about the same time we did and we went through our little orientation together. Sister Tseng is our favorite. She is older, very plain and just the sweetest, cutest, happiest person. We love her. Do you remember how grumpy I was before we left and I said that I was too tired to love more people or have more people I love in my life. Well, I was wrong. I love lots more people now and I'm not that tired anymore. I don't know how it happened but your beat-up old Mom has been energized. You know that I actually hate to admit that because I'm more comfortable being grumpy, but I guess I'm over the difficulty hill and have to admit that the blessings we were promised before we left are true and have and are being fulfilled. I just love the missionaries and the people in our Branch and the people at the place where we eat once a week but who wave at us every night as we pass on our way home and many others. We find that we are praying harder and more for the missionaries because we see them and work for them and are getting an inkling of their struggles and triumphs. They are so good and so hard working, so obedient and so happy. We pray for you extra hard, too, because we know that is about all we can do for you now but we feel comfortable and feel confident that you are doing well. We are so proud of you and the good things you are doing and the wonderful way you are taking care of, loving and teaching your children. If you get a chance, read Sister Lant's talk (or report of it) in the Church News that came out the week before conference. Now that reminds me of a whole different thing I was going to tell you, but I'd better do that later. This is LONG. Sorry!

Actually, since I don't write very often, I've just added our terrific siblings onto this email so they will know we are alive, as well. Siblings, don't mind all the talking to our kids at first--I know you love them, too, just as we love your kids. We find ourselves praying lots for them, too. Our prayers have become much more meaningful to us since we've been here. I was going to try to explain that, but I probably can't. We know that Heavenly Father will help them (and you) if we ask Him because that is our closest and most direct way because we are so far away from you. We are totally amazed at how He is blessing us and we trust He is blessing you extra, too.

Please know that we love you all so much. Give Dad our extra love--we think of him so often. We often tell Grandpa Dowse stories. Please take care of you all for us. We'll write another day although this is really the most exciting day we've had. Most of our days are just filled with working (which we have to admit we are liking better) and living a pretty simple life, although driving through Taichung traffic is not an ordinary experience. The scooters are unbelievable! Anyway, we love you. Byebye for now.
Love, Judy and Hank

No comments: